Hard to believe that 32 weeks have been and gone. I had no idea when I signed up for this the level of academic writing requirements. The last time I completed a PostGrad Cert I had a year's full time study leave! So am pretty impressed that I have managed to get this done on top of a full time workload. Despite that, It was actually the production of the digital assessments way back at the start of the course that proved to be the most challenging (and provided me with my lowest grade!).
Criteria 4 Commitment to Ongoing Professional Development
I'm pretty sure that this is a criteria that I have clearly met over the last 32 weeks! As well as the weekly classes for the first semester. our Saturday morning group has continued with regular meetings. This PLN of PLC is what has encouraged me over the last 16 weeks of the course. We have engaged in regular online discussions on the Google+ community. This has been a welcome addition to the PLN's I described in a previous post. for a number of reasons . We are all in the same place on our learning journey and can therefore critique from a point of similar experience! We provide feedback in a safe and supportive environment.
This has been a highlight of the 32 week journey.
Criteria 7 Promote a Collaborative, inclusive and supportive learning environment
Creating a safe on-line learning environment is always at the forefront of my mind. I spend so much of my time as a DP dealing with issues to do with 'unsafe online practices' that I am highly conscious of safe guidelines. The Google Classroom platform that I am using with the course I am putting together. As a Google school, only students with a school Google email, can access our class page. Clear guidelines governing discussions have been discussed. The 9 Elements of Digital Citizenship have been a great help with this.
Criteria 12 Use critical inquiry
I have written about the teaching inquiry cycle in a previous post. Critical inquiry is a integral part of effective teacher practice.
| http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-stories/Case-studies/Teachers-as-learners-Inquiry/Teaching-as-inquiry |
One of the things I have taken from this course in terms of trialing new pedagogies to increase learning is the idea of the flipped classroom. This is the topic that I wrote about in my inquiry plan for RDC 1, and I am looking forward to how this unit of work will develop over the course of next term. Collecting student voice and feedback will be a key to understanding the effectiveness of this mode of delivery with a senior English class. I am beginning to develop the resources for this - and that n itself is time consuming!
| From A Cleary, RDC1 Inquiry Plan |
Two areas that I intend to develop further post MindLab are around Criteria 9 and 3 - responding to the diverse cultural and bi-cultural needs of learners. All of my previous readings and school experiences focus on the knowledge that relationships with the learners is what makes learning work for Māori students. I worry about what will happen to these important relationships in an online world, Is the dialogue created between learner and facilitator in an online environment the same? Will it provide that connection that as educators, we know is SO important.
Time and results will tell.
Sources
http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/Practising-Teacher-Criteria-and-e-learning
https://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/pln-challenge-1-what-the-heck-is-a-pln/
http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-stories/Case-studies/Teachers-as-learners-Inquiry/Teaching-as-inquiry
http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/Nine_Elements.html
No comments:
Post a Comment