Monday, 25 January 2016

Activity 2 - Metacognition - reflections on learning and practice

Where to begin? 

If you asked me the simple question - 'what have you got out of the course this year?' the first thing that would spring to my mind is that I have a  MUCH clearer view of what leadership styles are and where my leadership style might sit, especially when comes to leading the massive changes to curriculum design and pedagogy, that my school is preparing to bring in 2017 and beyond. Prior to Wk 7 of this course, I had not given a great deal of thought to what my style actually was (interestingly I was asked this question at an interview not long ago!) and how it worked, or whether it was successful. I actually found Assessment 1 for Leadership in Digital and Collaborative Learning the most 'enjoyable' of the assessments to date, and hence received by far, by best grade. Posts such as this one from friend and colleague Steve Saville (Foundation Principal, Rolleston College) remind me that views on leadership and leadership models continue to evolve. 



Source: https://savilleblog.wordpress.com/

All of this ironically emphasises to me that as a learner I am mirroring EXACTLY what happens in my classroom - if the kids enjoy the learning, they will try harder and generally do better. Studies such as Hagenauer and Hascher (2014) have attempted to quantify this, but my own student voice feedback support this. 


She loves the topic and helps me understand the topics more because she is so involved with the topic.Makes sure that everyone is working hard but working environment is rarely dullShe always makes class enjoyable and I am really grateful to have her as my final english teacher for high school! She keeps things challenging and different which engages us to continue learning even on the last week of school.It doesn't feel like we are improving, but looking back I have made a massive improvement on my English work. She gives us a lot of work but it is doable and helps us improve.Good class discussionsVery encouragingDiscussion is encouraged in the classroom - everyone's opinion is given equal attention and this helps us to learn not just from the teacher but from fellow students as well.She knows what she's talking about and relays the information so everyone can understand and apply.
You always present everything in a controversial manor which allows us to attack any topic full on which results in the best results possible. (even the most boaring topics ;)) Being able to hold mature and well educated class discussions is truly the best way to learn (for me anyway) sometimes its good to get involved and other times its good to just listen to other peoples opinion which is truly helpful when it comes to not only writing exams but life in general. Classes with you were truly amazing and I feel as though I have grown as a student and as a human being. You are the best teacher I have ever had and I've had a few!
Source: Yr 13 Student Voice survey, Term 4, 2015 

My approach to the course and course-work also mirrors what I see my students do in my NCEA English classes. I cringe thinking about this phenomena!  I work to deadlines, the closer the deadline, the more I work. There may be 6 weeks leading up to an assessment, but it is not until that deadline is looming, that action really starts to happen. I have never been one for getting work in ahead of the deadline - and through secondary school, two degrees and a teaching diploma this served me well. In that respect if I was being assessed against Key Competency of Managing Self, I would score myself quite highly


Managing self 

This competence is associated with:
self motivation (TICK)  ,
a 'can do' attitude, (TICK) 
and with students seeing themselves as capable learners.(TICK) 
It is integral to self-assessment. (Could improve this - did all individual assessments) 
Students who manage themselves are:
enterprising, (TICK) 
resourceful, (TICK) 
reliable (TICK) 
and resilient. (TICK) 
They establish personal goals,(TICK - finishing this course) 
make plans, (TICK) 
manage projects (TICK - every assessment) 
and set high standards. (TICK - but may not meet them) 
They have strategies for meeting challenges. 
They know when to lead, (TICK) 
when to follow (TICK - robot programming!!) 
and when and how to act independently (TICK) 
(NZC, 2007)

However despite this, I feel as if I have been running from assessment to assessment over the course of these 32 weeks. And this is what it must be like for the Year 12 and 13 students in my classes, who are operating in the high-stakes world of NCEA. That is why I stated earlier, that I cringe when I think about this and them. 


Participating and Contributing

'This competency is about being actively involved in communities. Communities include family, whānau, and school and those based, for example, on a common interest or culture. They may be drawn together for purposes such as learning, work, celebration, or recreation. They may be local, national, or global. This competency includes a capacity to contribute appropriately as a group member, to make connections with others, and to create opportunities for others in the group.
Students who participate and contribute in communities have a sense of belonging and the confidence to participate within new contexts. They understand the importance of balancing rights, roles, and responsibilities and of contributing to the quality and sustainability of social, cultural, physical, and economic environments.'
(NZC, 2007)

I feel that I have always been an active participant and contributor in the communities that I am part of - the classroom, the Faculty, the Senior Leadership Team, as a Council Member of the National English Association (NZATE) and more recently the Saturday morning MindLab support group. I actively participate in twitter forums such as edchatNZ and engchatNZ, and I use Facebook as an aggregator of a range of educational 'think tanks' such as Teachthought and CORE. This course has enabled me to widen my range of readings and to think about in particular the type of leader that I want to be.
 


  

Source: www.dilbert.com


The area that I want to develop further would be the creation of digital artefacts. For the very first DCL assessment, I created a 'video', which I have to say took an inordinate amount of time. Especially if the assessment was worth 10% of the final grade. I did not score well. This put me off using this presentation platform again. 



Source: Author's own file


Since then I have presented all assessments in the written format and individually. I did not complete any group presentations and to some extent regret this, as the subtitle of the course is 'collaborative and digital practice.'


References

Hagenauer, G., & Hascher, T. (2014). Early adolescents’ enjoyment experienced in learning situations at school and its relation to student achievement. Journal of Education and Training Studies2(2), 20-30.


Ministry of Education. (2007). New Zealand Curriculum. Retrieved from http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/The-New-Zealand-Curriculum/Key-competencies


Saville, S. (2015, December, 28). What is leadership? [Weblog post]. Retrieved from https://savilleblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/28/what-is-leadership/

3 comments:

  1. Hi, the student voice is a special response to have. I love the honesty about the competencies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on a very full response to the assessment task. I agree with Tracey, this is very honest and there for reflective. I liked the visuals and video you added, nice touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on a full and interesting response to the required assessment. As Tracey said it was very honest, therefore reflective. I also love the extra visuals and video :)

    ReplyDelete