Saturday, 6 February 2016

Activity 3 - Reflecting on Reflecting - Lynda Finlay


‘I understand inquiry to be a process of systematic, rigorous and critical reflection about professional practice, and the contexts in which it occurs, in ways that question taken-for granted assumptions. Its purpose is to inform decision-making for action’ (Reid, 2004, p. 4 cited by ERO, 2011, p. 25).


Reflecting on Reflective Practice 


Finlay's definition of a reflective practitioner as being 'self aware and critically evaluating their own responses to practice situations.' (Finlay, 2008, p.1) is one that resonates with me. As a secondary classroom teacher, I don't believe that I can present the same information in the same way to different classes of students each year. I revisit the texts that I am using with my senior classes from year to year, from class to class. Student voice and choice underpin the way I approach texts and courses. students speak positively about this. 

The idea that the phrase 'reflective practice' is a contested term (p.2) is an interesting one, and this has me think about my own reflective inquiry. The fact that in my school, we link reflection inquiry to our appraisal system, and to the 'Practising Teacher Criteria' (PTCs) links to Finlay's examples from the nursing sector. 

The nature of reflexivity in practice 'critical self-reflection; reflecting critically on the impact of their own background, assumptions, positioning, feelings, behaviour while also attending the impact of the wider organisational discursive, ideological and political context' (p.6), link closely to the work that I have been involved in Te Kotahitanga and currently around Kia eke Panuku. Both of these professional development projects are grounded in culturally responsive pedagogical practices and challenge teachers to 'hold the mirror' up at their assumptions about Māori learners. 

There is tension between being a teacher and a reflective practitioner (p.11). The students in my class are also the subjects of my reflective inquiry and ethical considerations need to be taken into account if the reflective inquiry journey is going to be shared (and I believe it should be) with others. They need to be aware that the comments that they give in the form of student voice will be shared as part of my appraisal, anonymously. 

Evaluating the 'Teaching as Inquiry cycle as a model of reflection - is it effective? Is there room for improvement? 


In my first post I talked about teaching and the 'inquiry cycle' as outlined in the NZC. Teachers are continually learning more about the practice of teaching, as this underpins the work that is being done in schools, How this is formalised in schools is up to the individual leadership team in consultation with staff. 

As part of my annual appraisal cycle, I carry out a reflective teaching inquiry (see diagram below.) 

Source: http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Teaching-as-inquiry
While there is a 'natural' starting point (at the focusing inquiry), the cycle can be entered at any point. 

The cycle is straightforward and clear to follow. The focusing inquiry requires me to reflect on the data of a group of students to see what their needs and the needs of the curriculum might be. Accepting that I can bring about change for the students who I work with is the value underpinning the reflective inquiry cycle - which means investigating what strategies or approaches will enable me to make the required difference. These strategies and approaches are then trialed in the 'teaching and learning' section of the cycle. The 'learning inquiry' is  reflective practice - what happened? why? what would I need to do again or next time? And, where to next? In a senior English class this iterative cycle can be around a lesson, a series of lessons, a unit of work,a series of assessment opportunities or at the end of  year's programme of learning. I can revisit the focusing question and the approaches at each point - for topic, for task, for particular students. The reflective cycle, I believe, is an effective model for practitioner reflective inquiry.


However Benade (2012), suggests that there is a certain 'narrowness' in beginning with a focusing inquiry, and that collaborative shared inquiry as a process of reflection is more powerful than an individual reflective inquiry linked to inquiry. As an experienced teacher, I know critical reflection is essential in order for me to meet the needs of my students. Student voice is a key part of this. Assessment data is a part of this. Reading current research is part of this. I use this to change my practice. Interestingly Benade suggests that this is not enough, for  this model may become 'no more than an instrumental formula for teachers to follow, with no requirement they examine their fundamental beliefs and assumptions' (Benade, 2015, p.114). This is something that I will be thinking about some more! 



Benade, L. (2012). Challenging the Domestication of Critical Reflection and Practitioner Reflectivity.Educational Philosophy and Theory, 44(4), 337-342. doi:10.1111/j.1469-5812.2011.00824.x

Benade, L. (2015). Teaching as inquiry: Well intentioned, but fundamentally flawed. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies. 50(1). 107-120.

The New Zealand Curriculum. Wellington, N.Z.: Published for the Ministry of Education by Learning Media, 2007. Print.

Teaching as Inquiry: Responding to Learners (July 2012) 19/07/2012. (n.d.). Retrieved February 06, 2016, from http://www.ero.govt.nz/National-Reports/Teaching-as-Inquiry-Responding-to-Learners-July-2012/Findings/Teachers-inquiry-into-the-impact-of-their-teaching-on-students




No comments:

Post a Comment